Saturday, September 27, 2008

Day 7

Blog Entry 7: 9/26/08

It was a very touristy day for me. We went to some markets that reflected Oaxacan tradition. The first market was this place that had all these things made out of clay. What's interesting about the clay is that its from the local mountains and when its exposed to fire it turns black, due to some weird chemical properties. We met a pretty famous sculptor of the clay, and he sculpted a water pitcher for us. He's super skillful, I was amazed the his ability to make such a symmetrical pot with unique designs without the use of any tools, he just used the gaps in his fingers. I bought this pot with some artwork on it, I know my dad will go nuts over it, it's definitely his kind of thing.
Afterwards, we went to this market in another city, the name of which I can't remember. To be honest, it wasn't my favorite place because it was pretty much a giant flee market in which we were recommended to stay vigilant over our personal belongings. I'm glad we were there only for an hour, but it was interesting to see that Oaxaca downtown, where I live, is VERY upper-class. The flea market city was reflective of most parts of the state. I guess we don't appreciate what we have until we go see something else. Now I feel as though I live in a mansion here in Oaxaca, which is good because it allows me to appreciate what I have here way more.
We also went to this co-op shopping area, where there was no bargaining allowed and all the prices were set. I was happy because I suck at bargaining, especially in Spanish. Everything there hand-woven, and due to the fact that all the girls in my group were going crazy over everything on sale there, I figured my sister and mom would like bags, so I got them two. It was really quality stuff.
Lastly, we went to a woodcarver's ranch where he had all these wood carvings on display. These wood carvings were amazing, it was this style of art I've never seen before, and I know my dad would've gone nuts over it. It wasn't just the way the wood was carved, but also the way it was painted. He had this peacock which had like 10 different colors on it, and it was carved amazingly well, it cost about 1500 pesos, and I think it would've been definitely worth it.
Finally, the tour was over and we went back home for la comida. I think my pickiness over food finally wore out mi Mama's patience. She basically started saying that I don't like anything and she's always worried about what she could give me because I don't eat meat and I don't like vegetables. She also said that I need to accommodate to Mexican culture, and that I was part of her family, with her customs etc. I knew where she was coming from, and in a sense she's right because I naturally just kind of accept what I want and reject what I don't like, maybe go as far as to view it as stupid. I realized, today, that I guess I'm not used to making sacrifices which, as it turns out, makes life hard for others. She was pretty reasonable about it, so I'll be open to more things while I'm here. I realize it becomes hard for the person who's accommodating me in to their house, if I don't reciprocate the accommodation. I actually really liked the talk, even though she was annoyed, because it was it's just one of those experiences that forced me to become an adult and learn some maturity.
Those were pretty much the highlights of my day. I'll keep everyone posted as learning experiences come up.

No comments: